“Improvements at Greenway Oval will benefit a range of users and provide greater enjoyment for all the football codes that use the ground.”
Steve Doszpot MLA
Shadow Minister for Sport
Greenway Oval was once a first grade facility which has had little maintenance over many years. Other than the playing area, no major work has been undertaken on the ground’s original facilities (including grandstand seating, toilets, canteen etc) since they were first built. There are a range of urgent issues that need attention to bring the Greenway facility up to current day standards.
The three main users of the Greenway Oval are the Tuggeranong Football Club, ACT Gridiron and the Tuggeranong Valley Bushrangers RLFC.
The current users have benefited from a new clubhouse built in the past 4 years, but that has not addressed the ageing grandstand facilities which are in dire need of refurbishment. There is also a need for improved disability access.
The user groups have identified a range of possible refurbishments including;
- An upgrade of the grandstand change and shower areas.
- Upgrade of coaches’ boxes.
- Provision of a permanent camera position and media box.
- An upgrade of the PA system.
- A covered area at the entrance gate.
- A review of storage rooms including cleaners room and canteen areas.
- An urgent need to refurbish all of the toilets.
- A review of safety issues including hand and safety rails in the upper seating area of the grandstand.
- A modification of the canteen area to provide additional weather protection.
- A full review of disability facilities including disability access, seating and car parking.
The Canberra Liberals solution
The Canberra Liberals will work with the joint users of the facility to examine the needs of the Greenway facility and invest up to $550,000 to implement a refurbishment plan to bring the facility back to a first grade oval.
“Greenway Oval used to be a first grade facility. Sadly, it has been left to languish and we will bring it back to its previous quality.”
Nicole Lawder MLA
Member for Brindabella