A Canberra Liberals Government will deliver better education outcomes with a renewed focus on foundational learning.
We want Canberra’s education system to be the best in the country, with nation-leading education outcomes for students in Australia’s best learning environments.
That’s why a Canberra Liberals Government will drive foundational learning, equipping future generations with skills that can be applied across life paths and professions.
In contrast, under Labor the education system is increasingly a lost opportunity as academic outcomes continue to decline. At least six independent reports have revealed the alarming underperformance in Canberra’s schools. Literacy standards have been falling since 2001, and the average 15-year-old math student is one-and-half years behind where they were in 2003.
The Canberra Liberals believe there is a better way.
The Leader of the Canberra Liberals Alistair Coe said a Liberal Government will make sure that no young Canberran is left behind.
“We will ensure that every child is equipped with skills for the future with the Liberals’ renewed focus on foundational learning,” Mr Coe said.
“Providing the best education that focuses on foundational learning means we can set young Canberrans up for life,” Mr Coe said.
The Shadow Minister for Education Elizabeth Lee said it was important to help young Canberrans focus on their education.
“While a refocus on foundational learning is long overdue, it’s important that we deliver this in tandem with increased supports for students and teachers,” Ms Lee said.
“That’s why we’re committed to freeing teachers from administrative burdens to enable them to do what they do best, and that’s teach our future generations.
“It’s also important that we ensure calmer classrooms to help young people focus on their learning. We’ll do this through a range of mindfulness and mental health support for students, and training and support for teachers,” Ms Lee said.
“The Canberra Liberals will make Canberra the best place to live, work and raise a family by delivering lower taxes and better services for all,” Mr Coe concluded.
Our plan to deliver better education outcomes:
- Renewed focus on foundational learning by anchoring the school curricula in English, mathematics, science and languages
- Freeing teachers from administrative burdens to enable them to do what they do best
- Deliver world class language education in every school
- Creating 50 new full-time, dedicated teacher librarian positions for every public school
- Delivering a new mindfulness and meditation program across all Year 3 classes
- Providing more pastoral support for our children with mental health first aid training for teachers
- Piloting the Clontarf Academy in a Canberra high school to provide the education and employment outcomes of Indigenous young males