HOT temperatures have seen Canberrans flocking to pools but we still have no idea what is wrong with the problem-plagued Gungahlin 50m pool and if it will reopen this year, Liberal MLA for Yerrabi Leanne Castley said today.
Ms Castley asked a stack of questions under Freedom of Information before Christmas about when repair work will begin and how much it will cost.
The Chief Minister’s Directorate said the “large number of documents” makes this “a challenging and resource intensive exercise” and has sought an extension until February 12 to respond.
The directorate also wants to exclude drafts and administrative documents from their search.
“All I want is answers from the Labor-Greens government,” Ms Castley said.
“Gungahlin residents and families want answers. They are the ones missing out over the school holidays when all the other pools are open and full. How insulting that they were advised to swim at Lakeside in Greenway which is 32kms away.”
Ms Castley had a briefing with Sports Minister Yvette Berry’s office on December 21 which said ‘experts’ were assessing tiling problems.
“Their message was basically ‘we’re working on it’,” Ms Castley said.
“That’s not good enough, not when the pool has been closed since March last year.
“It seems to me there is much more to this story than the Labor-Greens government is letting on. Why don’t they just come clean and tell us the truth?” Ms Castley said.
The $28.7 million Gungahlin Leisure Centre was opened by then Sports Minister Andrew Barr six years ago who described it as a ‘state of the art community facility’.